Saturday, July 2, 2011

I Miss Cold Weather

According to my marathon training schedule (which I will talk about more in a later post) I had to run 13 miles with a 9:35/mile pace. I had run 13+ miles multiple times at this pace and faster. My best time was a couple weeks ago when I ran 11 miles at an 8:50/mile pace. So I got up this morning confident I could reach my goal.

I got up at 8 AM, had a quick breakfast and prepared to go. Armed with my camelbak and an Apple Cinnamon Hammer Gel I stepped outside ready to tackle my weekly long run. As I stepped out the oppressiveness of the heat hit me hard. It was already almost 80 degrees and very humid. I've run 7-8 miles in this kind of heat, but never longer than that. I knew today's  run would be a good learning experience. Even if I had to run a little slower to adjust for the heat that would fine.

I decided to try a new trail I've heard a lot of good things about, the Reeds Lake Trail. The trail is a few miles away, has a 4.5 mile loop, then a few miles back. Perfect for my run today. It started out smoothly, lots of rolling hills, and I was able to keep a 9:00-9:15 pace. The trail is really beautiful. I wasn't sure where I was going so I just followed the semi-steady stream of bikers/joggers/walkers hoping they were going the same direction I wanted to go. 

About mile 5 I was really feeling the heat. I felt like I was running through peanut butter and the hills seemed 4 times bigger than they actually were. I was really missing the 50 degree weather I have been running in. I was exhausted and couldn't see myself running another 8 miles, so I started walking. The problem with walking is when I've done it once it is very difficult to stay motivated not walk or stop again. So I walked a little ways, sipped from my camelbak and ran some more. Had my gel, drank more water, ran some more.

Somewhere between mile 6 and 7 I was really worn out. I was only 1/2 done and mentally could not see myself pushing through. I briefly considered calling my wife to come pick me up. But then realized since I wasn't even sure what road I was on she would never find me. I also thought, "I've never had to call her before and I'm not going to start now." So I pressed on.

About mile 7 I found my 2nd wind and started running at a good pace again. I was able to keep this up for while. I stopped worrying about my time and focused on finishing. By mile 8 I was wishing I had not forgotten to apply Body Glide to prevent chafing, but I continued to press on.

I ran some and walked more than I wanted but I finally made it home. I cut the run short at 11 miles, my pace was a disappointing 11:12. I hate not completing a run and rarely have to resort to that. But today I was just glad to go as far as I did. I realized I'm not ready for warm weather running, but I better figure how to adjust because August is coming soon. I also need to start running earlier in the day to help with the heat. But for now I'm sitting in my house enjoying the a/c. Live to run another day.

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree on the hot weather. I did a spring marathon specifically for that reason - I run better in the frigid cold than in the intense heat. I did 8 today starting at 7 AM and was glad to be done before it warmed up any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I had a hard time just walking out to my mailbox. The humidity was terrible. Kudos for sticking with your goals even with adversity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chad, That was a good strategy. Maybe I need to get up at 3 AM and do my runs. :-)

    ReplyDelete