Sunday, July 31, 2011

My Kryptonite

This seems kind of strange to say since I'm not Superman and I certainly don't have any super powers (though that would be cool). Truth is I'm a below average runner who struggles with running as much as everyone else. A more appropriate title would be "What makes a slow guy go slower?"

The answer, heat and humidity. I run year round in Michigan and we get a wide range of weather. I've run in wind, rain, sleet, blizzards, and sub zero weather. (The last one was cool because by the time I finished my eyelashes were starting to freeze together.) But I would rather run in any of those instead of heat.

There is something about the heat that totally drains me. I know some people love the heat, which doesn't make sense, but most people feel the same way I do. I'm told it is good to practice in heat so I can become used it, but I still avoid heat as much as possible.

One thing I have learned the past couple weeks when dealing with the heat is I need to slow down my goal pace. Running in heat is much more difficult than cooler temps and is a bigger strain on your body. So I'm learning to slow down for 2 reasons.
1) If you hit your goal pace in the heat, especially on longer runs, it will take your body longer to recover. This could really wipe you out for the next couple weeks causing your runs during this time to be slower.
2) Not reaching my goal pace is very defeating for me. Hitting my goal pace is invigorating and energizes me for my next run. While I know I won't hit my goal pace every time when I repeatedly miss my pace it is very discouraging. Running is very much a mental sport and requires a belief in yourself. When I miss my pace doubts start creeping in.

I realized when the heat/humidity is high I need to adjust my goal pace. There isn't a scientific number, it's just a guess. You have you know your body and make adjustments that seem to fit you best.

For example. Thursday I had a 6 mile run, 2 miles at 9:35 pace, 3 miles at 8:00 pace, 1 mile at 9:35. When I walked outside I immediately knew it would be tough. The air was thick and it didn't take long for breathing to become difficult. The first 2 miles were fine. But when I started the 8:00 minute pace (the first 1/2 mile uphill) I quickly ran out of steam. I had to walk several times and I ended up doing those 3 miles at a 9:07 pace. If I had reduced my goal pace to 8:25-8:30 I think I could have made it without walking and still hit my adjusted goal pace. The effort would have been about equal to the 8:00 pace under normal conditions.

When it's hot don't be too hard on yourself if you are having trouble. Just do your best and dream of cooler days.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the cool/cold any time over the heat. Running in the heat takes a lot of patience - it takes a lot longer to get used to, and usually once you're used to it, there's a break to just make the next wave seem even hotter. Nice job getting out in it!

    ReplyDelete